Disclaimer

The contents of this blog do not represent the views of the Peace Corps or the United States government.

Sunday 3 April 2016

Reading Room Project Update 1

I am proud to say that we have officially raised 25% of the money for the reading room project! Thank you so much to everyone who has donated, it really means the world to us. I believe that access to books and computers should be an integral part of every community, and our dream is to make them a part of this one. However, you’ve only been hearing my perspective on this project. I want to share what people in my community think about the reading room too. So, I have started interviewing people from the community in order to gather and share their thoughts on my blog.

For my first interview I spoke with the community social worker. Her name is Bonolo and here are her thoughts on the importance of books:

T: Dumela (hello), thank you for taking the time to speak with me.
B: Dumela, it is my pleasure.

T: I’ve been told that you’re rarely seen without a book, why do you like to read?
B: I read for pleasure and to improve my vocabulary.

T: What kinds of books do you like?
B: I love fiction, especially romance novels. I have a big pile of books at home, it comes in handy because right now I’m moving and don’t have electricity or TV in my new house.

T: Where do you get your books?
B: Most of the books I have, I got when I was still in tertiary school (at University of Botswana). While at school, you can’t do well if you are just reading novels, so I just bought them and stored them up for future use. Some I haven’t read yet, but most I am re-reading. There are no new books in this small village.
I had a library card when I lived in Tutume. There was a mobile library, but in this area I have never seen a mobile library.

T: Do you have a favorite book?
B: My favorite book is Rhapsody of Realities – it is a daily devotional that helps to build and increase a person’s faith in Christ Jesus. The author is Chris Oyakhilome who is also the founder of Christ Embassy Church.

T: Why do you want a reading room for the community?
B: It’s nice to have a reading room because the kids in these small schools, they don’t have enough books at school. And when the school is closed, the school library is closed. Kids are just idle on the weekends, waiting for Monday.
In Tswana culture, people like sending kids to the fields or helping around the house. Children are helping their parents. I think it will help the kids to have a place to relax and read. When you don’t have anywhere to go, you end up overdoing it with household work.

T: Do you think adults could benefit from the reading room as well?
B: Yes, there is a non-formal education class in the community to teach the elderly how to read and write. This class is for the elderly who love to read or want to learn to. They could especially benefit from the reading room.

T: Thank you for taking the time to speak with me.
B: You’re welcome.

Bonolo - community social worker and interviewee



If you would like to support the reading room project, please follow the link below to donate!!

No comments:

Post a Comment